Short Rib & Beer Cheese Smothered Fries
A kicked up, Reload version to smothered fries! Who doesn’t love a pile of hot, seasoned fries, smothered in gooey beer cheese and all of the best toppings? Whip these up for your next party and we promise, your guests will not be disappointed!
- 3 lbs potatoes/french fries
- Fully Loaded seasoning
- 1 lb boneless cross cut beef short ribs or 1.5 lbs bone in
- Double Action seasoning
- 1 jalepeno de-seeded and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper de-seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 oz beer whatever beer you currently have in your hand
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Packin’ Heat seasoning
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Prepare french fries in your preferred method: deep fried, baked, handcut, store bought; dealer’s choice. Season with salt & pepper and Fully Loaded to taste, while hot.
- Season short ribs liberally with Double Action and cook hot and fast to mid rare. Grill on highest heat or sear in cast iron. Whatever your setup, just get a nice flavor crust. This takes about 9 minutes. Let the meat rest covered while making the beer cheese.
- Prepare beer cheese.
- Cut up short ribs into bite sized pieces. Check a few pieces for quality assurance.
- Layer fries, pour over beer cheese, top with jalepeno, bell pepper and short ribs. Repeat until there’s no remaining ingredients, or split into multiple baskets.
- Serve hot and attempt to share!
- Using a medium size sauce pan over medium low heat, melt butter and sprinkle on flour forming roux.
- Cook the roux while stirring for about 2 minutes, being careful not to get it too dry.
- Add in warmed milk slowly while whisking, forming a bechamel. Stir and cook until mixture is very smooth, 5 minutes.
- Stir in beer, mustard powder, garlic, salt and Packin’ Heat.
- Finally, add in cheese in a few additions. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes to smooth. Keep warm on low heat until ready to use, stirring occasionally.