Char-grilled Dixie Dogs with Packin’ Heat Chow Chow
The Dixie Dog! Forget regular hot dogs..actually forget everything you know about hotdogs! This hotdog is an epic twist on the classic. Piled high with smoky, sweet pulled pork and topped with a homemade Packin’ Heat chow chow. This gauntlet of toppings will take you straight to the South, so be sure to serve it up with a glass of sweet tea or an ice cold beer!
- Hot dogs
- Hot dog buns
- pulled pork seasoned in Double Action seasoning
- pickled jalapenos or pickles
- 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sweet BBQ sauce
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 3/4 cup red onion chopped
- 3 small tomatillos chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tbsp pickling salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp Packin’ Heat seasoning
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup water
Chow Chow instructions
- Stir together cabbage, onion, red and green bell peppers, tomatillos, and pickling salt.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours (overnight).
- Transfer mixture (including any juice) to a large pot over medium high heat.
- Stir in Packin’ Heat, mustard seeds, celery seeds, turmeric, vinegar, sugar, and 1/4 cup water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Allow everything to cool to room temperature before storing in a mason jar.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.
To assemble your Dixie Dogs
- Fire up the grill and cook hot dogs to your preferred doneness.
- Brush with Dog-Sauce every time you flip the dogs, lacquering the dogs with sauce. The goal is to create a sticky glaze on the dogs as you might for ribs.
- Place hot dogs in a bun. Pile the dogs up with some pork, your favorite BBQ sauce, and the chow chow. Optionally, top with pickled jalapenos and/or pickles.